Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Reminiscing

Last night, I got home from work and did my normal, monotonous routine. I changed into comfy clothes, played the wii for about 30 minutes (mastered the basketball hoop shoot, which I have absolutely NO talent at in reality, so I'm quite pleased with myself), then decided I wanted to take a run.

I changed into my running clothes, stretched, then walked to the high school I attended. When in high school, I had been in MCJROTC and had to run around the school twice, which I likened to about a mile and a half. I thought, "EHHH, only been 8 years since high school, I'm in great shape! I can do this!". So, I broke out in a jog. The evening was warm, and by about the first tenth of a mile I was wishing I had a water bottle. Better yet, an entire swimming pool doused over my sweat-drenched head. I continued to push myself, not really all that tired, but HOT. Once I came to the ROTC building, glanced at the waving Marine Corp flags, yellow-painted cadet footprints on the road, and tried ineffectively to push back the wafting memories... I realized I am JUST NOT IN AS GOOD OF SHAPE AS I WAS. aka I'm getting old. Shhh, don't tell anyone. I walked past the baseball fields. Two men, baseball coaches in tiptop shape, took one look at my beet red face, jogging shorts, and droopy shoulders, and immediately began whispering and giggling. Gee thanks, that's all I needed for my already wounded ego. I ran the rest of the way back to my house- a good half mile at least, then graciously doused myself with a water bottle.
I love being in shape. I intend, this summer while in New York with my husband, to get BACK into shape. With all the PT he will put me through after reading this, I'm sure I won't have a problem. Thank you, honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment